News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Cannot Load Engine

Started by neilvyne, March 08, 2021, 04:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilvyne

We're using Audio Sound Suite 2018 and one of our customers in the field suddenly got an error dialog from AdjMmsEng:

### Internal error, cannot load engine Number 7 due to error 126.

That's all the info I can get at the moment. Since it's a compiled app on the customer machine I'm not able to obtain more detailed information. Multiple users are reporting it and I'm suspecting the error 126 is about a failure to load a .NET module but I cannot find any references in the Audio Sound Suite documentation to this kind of error for not loading an engine. Can you provide any additional information?

Thanks!

Administrator

Hello,

this specific error should never happen in normal conditions an it happens when one of our modules cannot be loaded; error 126, accordingly to the Windows SDK, means "The specified module could not be found" (ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND) so it's likely that for some reason the multimedia engine tries to extract one of the modules into the destination folder but when trying to load it the module is missing: it's likely that an antivirus or an antimalware could be blocking in some way this procedure due to a false positive?

As a second possibility, but it's a very rare case, a power failure could have damaged some registry setting inside the Windows installation so the Windows SDK, through the SHGetSpecialFolderPath function, is no more able to retrieve the system folder which is used by our engine in order to create the temporary files.  In this case it could be needed a new Windows installation because the system stability could be compromised. As mentioned, this is quite an extreme case.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Severino Delaurenti
MultiMedia Soft

neilvyne

Thank you. That's very helpful. Is there any code mechanism I could use to extract any more information or logging information? The customer claims they haven't changed anything and have re-imaged the box. So probably a virus checking problem. Is there anything that would be in the windows event logs that might help, too?

neilvyne

Oh, one more question... you mentioned "for some reason the multimedia engine tries to extract one of the modules into the destination folder but when trying to load it the module is missing"

where is the multimedia engine trying to extract to? All of the files are in the install area our support person found. Is it needing specific access to a temp folder area or path?

Administrator

Hello,

unfortunately there are no logging info for this issue and the temporary folder used by our engine in order to extract its needed modules is not a fixed one but certainly the chosen one comes with read-write rights for a user also without administration privileges, otherwise the displayed error box would give a different error code: we would suggest trying to temporarily disable the real time scanning of the antivirus in order to see if the problem disappears.

Kind regards

Severino Delaurenti
MultiMedia Soft

neilvyne

Thanks! The customer finally tracked down the issue and it is antivirus blocking bassmidi.dll from loading. It may be blocking any other DLL that you're extracting for use. They're using Cisco for the AV and they're checking with them to get the reputation of the file changed as it views it currently as malicious. Our customer's security department is looking for some kind of statement for how Audio Sound Suite uses this DLL (and other DLLs extracted) to help them justify whitelisting it and to provide Cisco AV.

Administrator

Thanks for your feedback.

As many other BASS modules, they are used to provide decoding of several audio formats; this notice is stated at the very beginning of web pages for most of our audio related products.

Below an excerpt of this statement:

"... thanks to the integration with DirectShow codecs and with the BASS library, both allowing decoding capabilities for the most common sound formats such as MP3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis and many others ..."

that can be found on these pages of products included with the suite:
https://www.multimediasoft.com/adjstudnet/
https://www.multimediasoft.com/asrecnet/
https://www.multimediasoft.com/asoednet/

by the way, all modules whose name begins with "bass..." are part of the BASS library.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Severino Delaurenti
MultiMedia Soft

neilvyne

Thank you! That's what I needed.