MultiMedia Soft forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: File Size  (Read 246 times)

mjividen

• View Profile
File Size
« on: January 04, 2021, 08:40:30 PM »

My application is recording hour-long book readings.  At this point, it does not include the ability to edit except to set the recording mode to Append, Insert, etc. I am very frustrated that, as the file becomes longer, the time it takes to be ready to record after a "Stop" is more than a minute duration.  This application is replacing a VB6 program which employs the Windows multi-media interface and goes from record to play and back instantaneously.  However, it only saves in .WAV and we need to export in MP3.  I've spent a great deal of time on the new version built around MMSOFT Audio Recorder.  I have eliminated all wave analysis and display, recorded to memory and to hard drive as well as experimented with other ways to speed this up but have failed.  I think I've tried everything in the Audio Recorder documentation but the application remains unsatisfactory.  I hope there is a solution I've not yet stumbled upon.  Can someone please give me the answer?

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MultiMedia Soft
Re: File Size
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »

Hello,

unfortunately recording/editing directly in MP3 format is very time consuming because the encoding through Lame is a sort of bottleneck: the best way would be relying upon the WAV format during the recording session and, once completed, perform a final export to MP3 using the RecordedSound.RequestExportToFile method

Hope this helps

Severino Delaurenti
MultiMedia Soft

mjividen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »

Although I need to save in MP3, I have experimented with recording in WAV and then exporting to MP3.  I see little difference in the delay from Stop to Record and back whether my app records in WAV, MP3 or a couple of other formats I've tried.  Next thought?

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MultiMedia Soft
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 01:19:28 AM »

Hello,

sorry for the delay in answering this question but I totally missed your latest reply.
We are currently working to develop a totally rewritten version of the recorder that will speed up things a lot and that should be efficient also for long recording sessions: we hope to have the new major version delivered by the end of May.

Kind regards

Severino Delaurenti
MultiMedia Soft

mjividen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 02:04:09 PM »

You mention the rewritten application which should considerably speed up loading and saving files.  Has this been completed?

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MultiMedia Soft
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 11:07:03 AM »

Hello,

unfortunately this is still not implemented.

Kind Regards

Severino Delaurenti
MultiMedia Soft