Feature request: make ruler configurable already before sound analysis done

Started by respect, July 08, 2014, 08:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

respect

I want to create a horizontal audio timeline for a group of vertical sound file rows.
The timeline consists of a table (treeview) with several rows. In the top header row a waveform analyzer control is scaled down to the size of the ruler without any waveform area displayed. In the other rows of the table horizontal bars will represent the sound files. I generate the bars based on the duration of the files. I will take care for scrolling the bars in the treeview myself.

Important: I want to avoid loading or analyzing the sound files. This way I can win performance and user experience.
I just want to create a visual preview based on the duration of the sounds in the timeline.
So want to display the long scrollable top ruler with the length of the longest sound. Or I even want to add some offset in these rows.

Currently the only way to create the ruler in the top header is by creating a long dummy silence and performing a sound analysis. The other way would be to mix / load with an initial offset position. Both has a performance penalty due to the creation of the long dummy silence and the sound analysis.

I would like the ruler of the sound editor to be displayable and configurable before any sound was loaded or analyzed.

I would like to request the mentioned "virtual analysis" feature in the following 2 products:
-Audio Sound Editor for .NET
-Audio Waveform Analyzer for .NET

Benefit: performance, especially if you want to browse quickly among a set of files, while the timeline for them needs to be updated quickly. A parallel rendering of the waveforms could take place in a background thread. On user request a more detailed representation can be shown.

A more convenient way would be to show a rough bar representation in the waveform analyser itself. If the background task is ready, and the user requests, it can be changed to show the fine representation.

Administrator

Hi  :),

we have already scheduled a new version of the waveform analyzer that will allow predefining the hosted sound duration and with support for multi-channel sound files up to 7.1; at the moment we are at the initial stage of the development so we still don't have a scheduled release date but it's likely that it will be available before the end of the year.

Kind Regards

Severino

Quote from: respect on July 08, 2014, 08:17:40 PM
I want to create a horizontal audio timeline for a group of vertical sound file rows.
The timeline consists of a table (treeview) with several rows. In the top header row a waveform analyzer control is scaled down to the size of the ruler without any waveform area displayed. In the other rows of the table horizontal bars will represent the sound files. I generate the bars based on the duration of the files. I will take care for scrolling the bars in the treeview myself.

Important: I want to avoid loading or analyzing the sound files. This way I can win performance and user experience.
I just want to create a visual preview based on the duration of the sounds in the timeline.
So want to display the long scrollable top ruler with the length of the longest sound. Or I even want to add some offset in these rows.

Currently the only way to create the ruler in the top header is by creating a long dummy silence and performing a sound analysis. The other way would be to mix / load with an initial offset position. Both has a performance penalty due to the creation of the long dummy silence and the sound analysis.

I would like the ruler of the sound editor to be displayable and configurable before any sound was loaded or analyzed.

I would like to request the mentioned "virtual analysis" feature in the following 2 products:
-Audio Sound Editor for .NET
-Audio Waveform Analyzer for .NET

Benefit: performance, especially if you want to browse quickly among a set of files, while the timeline for them needs to be updated quickly. A parallel rendering of the waveforms could take place in a background thread. On user request a more detailed representation can be shown.

A more convenient way would be to show a rough bar representation in the waveform analyser itself. If the background task is ready, and the user requests, it can be changed to show the fine representation.

respect

Hi,

thank you for this info. I am looking forward to trying it.

Best Regards
Laszlo